My twitter Updates









Malaysian English vs British

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Who says our (Malaysian) english is bad? Just see below, ours is simple, short, concise, straight-to-point, effective etc. The British did invent the English Language, but they can't seem to use it economically when communicating their intentions.

Compare these phrases that Malaysians and Brits use to say the same thing:

WHEN GIVING A CUSTOMER BAD NEWS
Britons: I'm sorry, Sir, but we don't seem to have the sweater you want in your size, but if you give me a moment, I can call the other outlets for you.
Malaysians: No Stock.

RETURNING A CALL
Britons: Hello, this is John Smith. Did anyone page for me a few moments ago?
Malaysians: Harlo, who page?

ASKING SOMEONE TO MAKE WAY.
Britons: Excuse me, I'd like to get by. Would you please make way?
Malaysians: PANAS! PANAS!

WHEN SOMEONE OFFERS TO PAY
Britons: Hey, put your wallet away, this drink is on me.
Malaysians: No-need, lah.

WHEN ASKING FOR PERMISSION
Britons: Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door?
Malaysians: (while pointing at door) Can or not?

WHEN ENTERTAINING
Britons: Please make yourself right at home.
Malaysians: Don't be shy, lah!

WHEN DOUBTING SOMEONE
Britons: I don't recall you giving me the money.
Malaysians: Where got?

WHEN DECLINING AN OFFER
Britons: I'd prefer not to do that, if you don't mind.
Malaysians: Doe-waaaan!

IN DISAGREEING ON A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION
Britons: Err. Tom, I have to stop you there. I understand where you're coming from, but I really have to disagree with what you said about the issue.
Malaysians: You mad, ah?

WHEN ASKING SOMEONE TO LOWER THEIR VOICE.
Britons: Excuse me, but could you please lower your voice? I'm trying to concentrate over here.
Malaysians: Shaddap lah!

WHEN ASKING SOMEONE IF HE/SHE KNOWS YOU.
Britons: Excuse me, but I noticed you staring at me for some time. Do I know you?
Malaysians: See what, see what?

WHEN ASSESSING A TIGHT SITUATION.
Britons: We seem to be in a bit of a predicament at the moment.
Malaysians: Die-lah!!

:P
posted by Ivan, 12:58 pm

3 Comments:

Malaysian just have no simple manner, nothing to do with the English one.

But it's really funny.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 3/10/2005 05:44:00 pm

 

I agree that its funny.

Having lived in Britain for eight years I find that British politeness is waning. The kids are really rude here, probably more so than in Malaysia.

But generally they have good manners compared to the shit storm I get whenever I return to Malaysia.

I still marvel at the way they would send me to a competing store if they do not have something I want in stock. These kind of attitude won't happen in Malaysia. They will just tell me to bugger off.
hahaha.. the britons are more polite. I reckon it's the culture and society that we're in. It's just like.. I do what other ppl do.

Amazingly, i went over to low yat plaza to get my web cam 2day and this shop ran out of stock. He directed me to a few shops.. haha..
commented by Blogger Ivan, 3/11/2005 04:10:00 pm

 

Add a comment